Worthington Presbyterian Church is seeking a Financial Accountant. The position is a 32 hour per week responsibility; additional hours required during year-end closing process. The position reports to the Business Manager. The position primarily works with the Senior Pastor, the Treasurer, Finance and Stewardship Committees, Preschool, other committees, staff, and related organizations.
The position is responsible for, among other things: processing and accounting for all church donor contributions, accounts payable, payroll, working directly with external vendors as required. The position maintains all employee benefit related accounts and records, attends committee meetings as required, and interacts with staff and church members. The position provides financial trend reports, analyses, and similar spreadsheets upon request.
An Associate’s Degree in Accounting or equivalent experience is required. Related experience in non-profit organizations, especially churches, is a plus. Proficiency with a general ledger system and Microsoft Excel is essential. The successful candidate must be able to work in a small-office, collaborative environment, possess strong interpersonal skills, with the flexibility to adapt to changing priorities and deadlines.
The successful candidate must pass a background check.
Resumes should be emailed to: email@example.com.
LSA status: Exempt
To maintain church accounting and related records and to provide church Treasurer, Business Manager, Finance Committee, and other users of church financial information with timely and accurate reports in support of the mission and ministry of the congregation.
- Reports to the Business Manager.
- Works with the Senior Pastor, Treasurer, Finance Committee, Stewardship Committee, Preschool, other church committees and staff.
Maintains church financial records including all account reconciliations, financial statement preparation, and supporting analyses and financial statistics.
Accounts Receivable & Other Donations
- Records contributions to donors’ records, deposits church monies and prepares and sends quarterly statements to contributors either via mail or e-mail.
- Prepares authorizations for monthly ACH transfers.
- Records pledges to Capital Campaigns and prepares related financial reports.
- Arranges for the sale of stock when given as a donation and accepted by Session.
- Records gifts and sends acknowledgements for Endowment and Memorial Funds upon acceptance by Session.
- Receives and categorizes mail for timely payments of invoices and staff requests for ministry payments.
- Tracks church credit cards, including their setting up, closing, user compliance with policy, and card payment processing.
- Prepares payroll semi-monthly and submits reports to payroll processor for processing; keeps accurate spreadsheets for Federal, FICA/Med, State & City tax; keeps records for quarterly and year-end reporting, including W-2’s; keeps records on all personnel including W-4, I-9, Flexible Spending Account program for health care, and administers the Tax Sheltered Annuity program.
- Tracks vacation and sick leave of staff.
- Prepares and submits Workers Compensation semi-annually reports.
- Attends, actively participates in, and supports the monthly Finance and Stewardship Committee meetings.
- Attends Columbarium Board Meetings, assists in selling niches and prepares financial reports for the committee.
- Prepares quarterly and year-end reports for all funds.
- Prepares Preschool financial statements, reconciles accounts, and processes bill payments.
- Works with Membership & Fellowship committee to determine active membership numbers.
- Reports the church’s financial status to persons, groups, and entities as appropriate in the pursuit of church business and supports the budgeting process.
- Monitors financial records of affiliated organizations.
- Supports outside CPA during annual review of financial records.
- Adherence to the Standards of Ethical Conduct for Employees of PC (USA) Churches.
- Knowledge of accounting concepts and principles.
- Proficiency in use of a general ledger and related systems.
- Proficiency in Excel.
Associates Degree in Accounting or equivalent experience.
Hours, 32 hours/week.